Wednesday, October 13, 2010

My Lists and Organization

I don't know what I would do without my lists (yes, plural). I don't think I would be able to function and Lord knows that I would be forgetting things left and right.

I am a list girl. I love making lists: to-do lists, shopping lists, wish lists, you name it. It is sad, but I get the greatest sensation when I get to mark something off my list. It is like this overwhelming sense of accomplishment and satisfaction all rolled up into one.

Each Monday morning, I start the work week off by making a list for the week. Each day I write down what meetings I have and what tasks I need to accomplish that day. I take this list everywhere with me, so when something comes up, I can add it to my list.

I also try to make a to-do list for things around the house. From the small daily tasks I need to accomplish to the bigger projects I would like to do.

And I keep a running list of things that I need on my fridge. So when it is time to go to the store, I won't be forgetting things that I need.

I hate feeling unorganized and so often in life, it seems like the only thing holding me together is my list. I am trying to take this practice into other aspects of my life as well so that I can get a better handle on things.

Studies show (seriously they do..we use this stuff for work all the time) that you are more likely to do something if you write it down. And it just makes you more aware of what you are doing.

So here are some things that I am going to start keeping better track of:

Budget- I have been seriously stressing over money lately. I am terrible with my finances (well not really terrible, but there is definite room for improvement). I don't really track it and I am a bad impulse buyer - if I want to go shopping, I will go shopping. It is now time for me to buckle down and prioritize. I have created a budget and a spreadsheet to help me track (I feel like you are going to be so proud of me, KMac).

Eating habits/Meal planning - As I have mentioned before, my eating habits have been a little rocky over the past couple of weeks. I just want to start paying more attention to it. I haven't made the time to go to the grocery and get the foods that I like to keep around me. So then I have to resort to quick fixes that aren't really what I would like to be/should be eating. So, I am jumping on the weekly meal planner bandwagon. I've been wanting to do this for a while - again, just haven't made the time. Here is another list to help me stay on track. And I will be tracking what I eat to help me stay on track.

Sundays are going to be "get organized" days. I can update my budget spreadsheet and make my plan for the week.

I just love being organized! What lists help you get through the day/week?


1 comment:

  1. I started using Mint.com for budgeting/tracking. I really think it works! It tracks your spending based on categories so you can look at a glance how much you are spending in what areas. You can also set savings goals up. Just my two cents :)

    And I, too, have lists galore!

    ReplyDelete