Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The Prayer List

Last night I got to play hostess while my mom and her friends (who happen to be my old cheerleading coaches and moms of cheerleading friends growing up) brought me dinner and came to see my new place. In other words: more housewarming gifts! I enjoyed the conversation, but it was also nice to just sit and watch them carry about like they would do on any other monthly dinner.

I can definitely say over the past few months I have grown up a lot because I never realized how many difficult things people go through. I always knew they were there, but they seem to be happening more often, and I credit my observation of that to being an ‘adult’. While they were talking about some real world adult things that I like to pretend never happen, Mrs. P (old coach) told us about her prayer list. She makes a short list each month or week or whatever of what she needs to pray about. And she has seen it work!

I thought this concept was so interesting. I know as I get ready to say my prayers before I go to bed, I get overwhelmed because there are so many things I want to include: my family, friends, health, soldiers overseas, my coworker who was just diagnosed with cancer, finding my way through life, the people in Haiti, just to name a few. I think it is helpful to pick just a few to concentrate on for a period of time and then move on to the others. I am definitely going to try this!

No comments:

Post a Comment