Saturday, February 6, 2010

I'ma a Diva

For those of you who didn’t know me in high school, this may come as a shock to you. All of my friends considered me a soccer mom in training, which is pretty realistic considering my mother is like the ultimate mom. They said that I would be the one who would always have my kids’ friends over with snacks and treats after school, be the PTA mom, field trip chaperone, etc… I was perceived as being this future domestic diva and at one point, I thought I could live up to all the hype. My best friend and I wanted to be just like our moms- they were both stay-at-home moms who worked so hard to make sure their kids had everything they needed. And once they finished all their chores around the house- fun projects, shopping trips, social groups, and lunches were always on the calendar. Well once I college hit, that all changed! My friend is now married and well on her way to living our dream, and I feel off the wagon.

I had never been too talented in the kitchen, nor did I enjoy it except for baking. I also became so career focused and ambitious that I lost sight of anything other than pushing myself to be the best. I began to think that I was going to be the ultimate career woman where being successful was all I needed- husband would be nice if it would ever happen, not so sure I even wanted kids. (9 months of being pregnant sounded so uncomfortable and miserable to me) I mean, so many women choose that path these days. Then I realized I was turning into Miranda, when deep down I am truly Charlotte.

I am not sure if it is the fact that the working world is not what I expected it to be, or that I am finally seeing what is important in life, but I am now back to my original dreams of raising a family and running a household. (So I guess being House Manager was a sign right girls?) I think it has always been my dream, it was just hidden by everything else I wanted to do in college. And I have figured out how I could even incorporate a part-time career as well. So since I have much more time to myself these days, I am becoming so domestic! I am (slowly) learning my way around the kitchen and not just the microwave. I am actually enjoying cooking- which has never been the case before. I used to HATE the grocery store, but as I learn my way around, it is not so bad. I LOVE the new Kroger Marketplace by my house and Costco is amazing. Laundry, ironing, and cleaning, all have to be done, but I am looking for ways to make it fun and not just a (dreaded) chore. I have painted and even learned to Spackle a wall! I am always open for entertaining guests- I like to keep an open invitation policy where my friends can come over any time (as long as it is clean). Just say when! Also, I have been spending a lot more time with my mom which has shown me how special a mother really is. Now all that is left is working on that whole dating/husband thing...I think I need to have a little more training before I can get married, so I am in no rush there!

I guess all of these changes I have been going through the past 8 months have changed me. Usually we notice we have changed long after the fact, but I actually feel it happening, and so many more changes are yet to come. For now I will just focus on the future and work on my skills around the house! Ill keep you updated on my progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment