Thursday, August 19, 2010

The Fix Up

I tried it, I really did. When my friend asked me if I minded if she tried to fix me up with a guy friend, I went against my previous feelings on the whole idea and agreed. Although I am proud of myself for going against my norm and taking a chance, I am a little hesitant to agree to a fix up again. I feel like a fix up is forced, and I would much rather have things happen naturally.

On the positive side, these past few months were a bit more exciting than they would have been if I said no. I’ve made some new friends out of the situation, went on a date (even though I had to ask), and I had some funny/embarrassing stories to share. And I do enjoy the idea of a potential “someone” even if it doesn’t work out. Like I said, I have a new friend out of the situation and I am happy about that!

However, there is a lot of pressure! Or maybe it is just me, but I sure felt a lot of pressure. I was the one who knew about the fix up so instead of just being myself, I felt like I had to bring my A game. (Clearly this is meant to be, so I have to be perfect, right? Uh, no.) I don’t do well in these situations, so I would have rather just meet someone as a friend first, without knowing that someone thinks we would be a good match. No matter what, that idea was always in the back of my head, and I usually ended up acting like an idiot.

So I have decided that it’s not really for me. I have heard success stories from people who have been fixed up, but I am not interested in trying that again. Or maybe this was just a bad one. Oh well. Until the next great adventure!

Do you have any good fix up stories?

1 comment:

  1. i agree--- it's all about the way it's approached. Being "fixed up" brings way too much pressure. However, meeting a potential new friend... not nearly as bad!

    ReplyDelete