Wednesday, January 5, 2011

New Year, New You (plus 5 days)

I must apologize in advance if this turns out to be a long post. I have just been gone for so long!

 Happy New Year! I hope that 2011 brings health, prosperity, love and happiness to you all!

Do you all make resolutions? I try to, but I am not very good at keeping them.
So my new approach is to just make this year better than the last. I feel like if I improve on something, it is better than not doing anything and I don't have to be disappointed for not meeting a specific goal. (Those SMART objectives you learn about in school really should not be applied to NYR's). So here are some ways that I will set out to improve my year!

Be healither
 Ok, this is like everyone's NYR. Yes, I want to lost weight. Yes, I want this to be the last time that I say that. Yes, I want to live an active life. I have my own goals that I am working on. And hopefully I am making some progress.

Be a better person
There are certain traits that I used to have that I feel like I have lost over the years. I want to go back to being the person that I want to be. I want to be more patient and understanding. I want to be more compassionate toward others while not being afraid to be vulnerable (yea, right). Maybe even put myself in uncomfortable situations to learn and grow. I want to be more positive. I want to be more confident and not as insecure.

Be more productive and stay organized
I declare way too many "lazy days" for myself. Then things that I need to get done pile up and I get overwhelmed. Instead of putting certain things off, or sit on the couch watching TV at night after work, I can multitask and get something done while I watch TV. I spent over 2 hours organizing paperwork over break...if I just stayed organized when I got things in, then I wouldn't have wasted those 2 hours. (Again, I used to be so organized, but I lost a little bit of it along the way.)

Spend more time with my friends
This one isnt as easy because we all have different schedules, but I really want to be around people more. Sometimes I feel like I just go to work and go home. Sometimes I feel like an outsider because I work and live across the river. I can't just go meet up for lunch during the day or walk over to a friend's house. It just takes a little more effort, but it is worth making. I also want to be a better friend.

Around the house
 I think this year my only goals around my house are to finish the upstairs loft and to put in my wine rack I've been talking about.

Be a better Christian
 I have started reading my daily devotional again, and I want to start going back to church regularly.

 Make time for me (but do it with my friends)
I haven't been good at doing any of my hobbies. I want to make time to do the things that I enjoy so that I don't get burned out on the things that take over.

 See, that is a lot to take in for one year, and I know it. But my approach in doing this is to take it one day at a time. Just like I want to make this year better than last, I can make each day better than yesterday. And even if I have a bad day, there is always tomorrow. It is really about making a lifestyle change, and taking the little steps I can in order to live the life that I want.

What do you want to do this year? I think if anything, we should all pledge to make this year the best 2011 that it can be!

Happy 2011!

1 comment:

  1. these all sounds like wonderful resolutions!! you go girl! :)

    ReplyDelete