Thursday, January 20, 2011

Felling a Little Flakey

As much as I am getting sick of all this snow, I am enjoying these "snow days". It is not the same like in school when you would get up just to see your school's name on the news so you could go back to sleep and then spend the day playing in the snow, or if you are like me, staying in and making the most of a day off: movies, crafts, etc. It was a day off! Now, I still have to work, but at least I am at home in my sweats.

In making the most of my day, I have been able to catch up on things around the house. Yes, you can do laundry while you work! (Ok, so that is the only thing I caught up on.)

I also had the traditional snow day lunch that reminded me of snowy days in the sorority house - grilled cheese and tomato soup was a staple in that house! However, I tried to make it "healthy"...so here is my not-as-bad recipe for the perfect, easy snow day meal:

1 can Healthy Choice Tomato Basil Soup (200 cals for the entire can! I added a splash of non-fat milk to make it thicker, so round up to 220)
1 Sandwhich Thin (such as Arnold's/or other whole wheat, low cal bread about 100 cals)
2 slices meunster cheese (meunster and gouda are 2 of my favorites - 160 cals)

I used non-stick spray and a few squirts of spray butter to make the grilled  cheese as "authentic" as possible. So in like 10 minutes you have such a yummy meal that warms your body on these cold winter days. And this version is only like 480 cals for a lot of food!


(This isn't my picture)

I have been thinking all day that one day when I have kids, I will get to make their snow days special. Of course, we will have the same lunch (except I will make homemade tomato soup because I am going to be the perfect mom :) ) and I will add freshly baked chocolate chip cookies, a tradition that I will carry on from my mom. On the first snow of every year, she had cookies fresh out of the oven for me when I got home from school. We will also have fun crafts and activities to do inside when they get cold from playing outside. And we can watch movies and drink hot chocolate till our hearts are content. Ok...maybe I am getting a little ahead of myself here, but a girl can dream right?

How do you like to spend your snow days?

No comments:

Post a Comment