Wednesday, April 7, 2010

My Favorite Things for Decorating

Since I have recently had the pleasure of decorating my new place, and loving every minute of it, I thought I would share some of my favorite things when it comes to decorating! And since some of my friends are getting ready to move into their own places soon, maybe this can inspire your own decorating style!


For the walls:

I LOVE color! I also like adding dimension and texture with fun wall hangings and faux painting.
I love my bright green wall - even if people thought I was crazy for wanting it. And those flowers were one of the best purchases I made!


 
They also thought my dark red bathroom was going to be too much.

You can't see it very well here, but I did a rag/cheese cloth faux texture in my kitchen. It is very subtle, but someone said it reminded them of when you first put cream in your coffee. Sounds good to me!

The walls in the bathroom look like canvas.

Pictures:

I have pictures EVERYWHERE! Not only does it make me feel surrounded by all of the people who are special to me when they are far away, but it is the best way to let yourself shine through. Your guests will surely be able to get to know you!
Just some of my favorites :)

Ok, so AH isn't someone I know personally, but she is inspiring.



To add character:

I think everyone should have something they made as a decoration. However, if you don't think you are crafty enough to do it yourself, ask a friend to help!


Instead of buying expensive artwork, I printed pictures off and put them in frames.
I did the same thing for my coasters...
And I made some bouquets.
For Christmas, my grandma made me custom curtains for my living room. Matching pillows coming soon!

I have some other crafts in mind for other rooms!

To make your home welcoming:

This one comes easily once you make your house your home. One thing I like to do is to burn candles so that the rooms smell good!

This can also be done through little details such as serving dishes for when guests come.

 
(I am so proud of this find!)

My absolute favorite thing about decorating is just showing what makes me, well me, and expressing my style.

You know I love my StL Cards!

My entry and kitchen represent my home away from home in Lexington.
(I had to order 'LOVE' in the mail... They are up on the ledge above my entertainment center now.)


By no means am I a pro, but I really am happy with how everything has turned out so far! I still have some more decorating to do, but I think I should take a break for a bit to replinish the bank account. And I don't want it to be over, so I am making the fun last for as long as I can.

What are your favorite things for decorating?

2 comments:

  1. This is soo cute!! Thanks for sharing :) For decorating..I looove fabrics. For pillows, to put in frames, and adding details to plain curtains, etc. Its a great way to add some punch without much commitment!

    Love you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Shannon! I will have to try some new things with fabric. I haven't done my loft yet which will be my home office/craft room. Maybe some fun fabric things will be perfect!

    ReplyDelete